Friday, December 24

have a HoLLy JOllY CHRISTmas!

"Ho Ho the mistletoe hung where you can see..."


                  
Mistletoe sparked my interest today and I thought I’d share:

Mistletoe is actually a parasite plant. It grows on trees and sends its roots into the tree to suck up nutrients.   

In the Middle Ages, mistletoe was hung to ward off evil spirits and in Europe it prevents the entrance of witches. It was considered to bestow fertility; a protection against poison; and is an aphrodisiac.

Kissing under the mistletoe is first found associated with the Greek festival of Saturnalia and later with primitive marriage rites. In Scandinavia, mistletoe was considered a plant of peace, where warring spouses can kiss and make-up.

Later, the eighteenth-century English credited with a certain magical appeal called a kissing ball. At Christmas time a young lady standing under a ball of mistletoe, brightly trimmed with evergreens, ribbons, and ornaments, cannot refuse to be kissed. Such a kiss could mean deep romance or lasting friendship and goodwill. If the girl remained unkissed, she can expect to marry the following year. In some parts of England the Christmas mistletoe is burned on the twelfth night lest all the boys and girls who have kissed under it never marry.

Even if the pagan significance has been long forgotten, the custom of exchanging a kiss under the mistletoe can still be found around the world. Now if a couple in love exchanges a kiss under the mistletoe, it is interpreted as a promise to marry, as well as a prediction of happiness and long life.

After reading over this I have decided a few things:

One: Isn’t it interesting how this “aphrodisiac,” this love inducer, is also a parasite. It’s true that relationships, at times, are parasitic: one half relying on the other for strength, and vice versa. I dare all of you who have a special someone to look into their eyes and affectionately call them a parasite… let me know what happens.

Two: I may start putting mistletoe in my apartment year-round to ward off catty, evil, witchy girls, and also to use it against poisonous relationships.

Three: In a world of divorce, we should follow the Scandinavians.

Four: I need to go to a kissing ball, and if I follow the old ways I hope not to be kissed.  If we are following the modern ways I hope to be kissed.  Either way it equals marriage in 2011… HAPPY NEW YEAR!



All my mistletoe information was found at:
http://www.theholidayspot.com/christmas/history/mistletoe.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment