Tuesday, November 2

How to smother the Bonfire of Love

How we met:

I was invited by my some guys in my complex to a bonfire. I wasn't so sure about what these boys were all about, so when my engaged roommate and her boy said they would come I knew I had an escape plan in place.

We drove outside the city about 30 minutes to where they had the bonfire set up.  There were quite a few people there, and someone had brilliantly brought a couch to sit on.  I don't know how it happened, but I ended up on the couch between these two guys.  We all started talking, and after figuring out that the load of crap they had been feeding me was a lie, quite a bit of time had passed. At that time my roommate was leaving and offered me a ride home, but these two boys said they'd make sure I had a ride. (this is the part where I am so grateful that my mom prays for me and that I didn't get killed by these random strangers)  We sat on that couch and talked for quite a while because I had to relearn everything about them, since they had been using my gullibility to their benefit.  I had believed all of their stories from where they had previously lived, what they were studying, all the way down to what their names and ages were.
We eventually headed back into the city and I finally was able to see what they really looked like.
They looked totally different than what I imagined. I could tell that they imagined me different too.

Pointer: this is why you never kiss random guys after meeting them at bonfires, or clubs, or any dimly lit venue.
Sidenote:  I'm an average looking girl.  Short, being in the lower five foot range, and average size.  I've never been the type that make guys take a second look, but I think I'm pretty.

It wasn't a shocking difference with them, but it was a "you look different, not bad but different."

One of them looks like Kevin Jonas:


I picked this picture because it almost catches him in a light that would make him comparable. Just imagine him with short hair and a receding hair line.  Oh, and add about 30 pounds. Then you would have this kid. 

And his friend looks like Cam Gigandet:
Exchange the blue eyes for brown and he was clean shaven.



This is the friend that I was digging, even before I saw them in the light.  He gave me a piggy back ride to the car and was just super fun and outgoing.  Once we got to their apartments, I felt his interest drain.... drats.

A few days later we did end up having dinner, the three of us, and went and played at a park.  Cam and I threw around a football while Kevin set up the slack rope.  For those who have no idea what this was I'll try and explain.  It is called slacklining, it's a climbing rope that people tie about three feet above the ground between two trees. Sort of like a tight rope, balancing barefoot across. Kevin loves it and through a lot of peer pressure convinced me to try it.  




Not going to lie it is super weird for me to remove shoes and socks in the middle of a random park and try to balance between trees.  Not a huge fan.  The situation was made even more awkward when he was trying to be all helpful and was trying to "balance" me.  He wasn't inappropriate, but I'm not the touchy-feely type. 

After this outing I never heard from Cam again, but I couldn't get rid of Kevin.

He would drop by my apartment all the time, and just sit around talking to my roommates.  They all thought he was really funny, but I felt like he was smothering.  He would do one of those lingering hugs, where I had stopped hugging and he just kept going.  He would guilt trip me into going to things with him, and finally convinced me to go on a date with him.

He took me swing dancing.  It was a good idea, since he did know what he was doing, but he doesn't understand that I have a bubble.  He just wants to be right in my space, all the time.  This made me wish that the time would go by faster, and eventually the date did end. 

He continued to keep on asking me out, and planning activities for us, making me feel really guilty when I canceled or was busy.  Kevin wanted me to spend all of my spare time with him, and acted like we were a couple.  Remind you I have only been on one date with him, and haven't done anything other than hug him.  He didn't pick up hints when I suggested we should do things with Cam, and after many awkward encounters I finally had to be frank with him. I ended up telling him that I needed some space.  He said he understood, and gratefully he backed off.  

Relationship Success:  Thumbs Down

He did have a fun idea for a date, but doesn't understand boundaries. If a girl doesn't linger longer during a hug, read the signs.  A relationship is two sided, you can't run while holding the hand of someone walking. 

Also don't guilt trip people into liking you.  If a girl cancels, or actually has other priorities, get a hint and cut her some slack.  And I don't mean the slackline kind. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment